Business crime affects profitability, can deter investment and lead to business closures, which in turn can impact on the wider community.
If you have been affected by crime, please contact West Mercia Police on 101. If a crime is in progress or in an emergency, always ring 999.
Telford & Wrekin Council's Business Support Team are also available to provide a range of support services to local businesses, and have a number of networks for businesses to link in to. Further information can be found on the Business Support website.
West Mercia Police have useful information on how to keep your business safe from crime. For more information, please visit their website.
To try and prevent crime within your home or business, the tips below can help with this:
- Know what is happening in your area
- Talk to other businesses
- Find out what crime has or is affecting the area
- Find out what support schemes are available for businesses
- Make sure your know your environment
- Consider what roads and footpaths there are around your property and whether they are well maintained
- Check whether the boundaries to your property are secure
- Look for suspicious behaviour
- Is the building secure?
- Address areas of vulnerability
- What is the area like at night?
- Consider CCTV and security arrangements with neighbouring businesses
- Ensure stock lists are up-to-date
- Consider how and where stock is placed
- Ensure there is a security plan in place
- Is there an alarm and is it well maintained and fully operational?
- Are all staff aware of how to keep the building and stock safe?
- Ensure that there is a security policy for public and shared areas i.e. CCTV
- Ensure there is a signing in procedure
- Maintain secure access for employees
For further information on crime and safety, please visit the West Mercia Police website.